Friday, June 4, 2010

Injuries

I have played for a long time without getting a serious injury. I mostly took it for granted because I figured I was one of those people who was sturdy enough to not get injured. Well, it finally happened. Unfortunately I still don't know what "it" is.

Last Thursday, I was playing summer league. I was cutting for the dump and felt my thigh go one way and my lower leg go the other way, mostly laterally. I didn't hear a pop, but it definitely moved out of place and then went back. Next thing I remember, I was rolling on the ground, hardly able to breathe. We have a PT on our team who came over and did some of the usual ACL, etc. tests on it and determined that it was pretty stable.

The next day, I went to a orthopedist in Waltham who also performed his own set of tests and said that he could not see anything from the initial tests and that it seemed stable. However, he also said that based on the story, it sounded like an ACL.

Yesterday I went to get the MRI. That was quite an experience - they are basically shooting volts of electricity into your body so it reacts and then the measure how quickly it goes back when the electricity stops. Well, that's the way Greg explained it to me. There was also something about it being a giant magnet so you can't wear any metal when you go in there. The only sucky part is there is no answer right away. I have to wait until Tuesday to go back to the doctor and get the results. It's not like an X-ray where they can just read it right there. I wish I had known so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

So I will be standing around a lot this weekend watching at the Boston Invite. When was the last time that I was on the sideline watching?? I can't even remember. Super bummer ship.

It also means that 3 of our handlers are injured (Tab, Dory, Julia). On Ozone we only had 3 handlers (j/k). But on Brute, they have 3 handlers out there in the spread at all times so you need a lot of handlers. Should be an interesting weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment