Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lazy Weekend

Having the month of July off has been brilliant. I don't know why I never thought of it. I don't have to be out at practice when it's a thousand degrees outside. It's really kind of a duh moment.

Anyway, Greg and I have been pretty lazy with our weekends, although he is taking me somewhere next weekend for my birthday. It's a surprise. Will have to report back. Yesterday, I got up and went to the farmer's market in Cambridgeport and got a few things like a fresh baguette from a place called Hi Rise Bread and a giant heirloom tomato. I have been so into fresh tomatoes and blueberries lately, and there are so many responsible, local ways to buy them that I have a stockpile in the fridge.

Then I drove around Cambridgeport and looked at apartments, mostly just looking and getting a feel for the area. There was one that was a nice building and a good location that I am going to follow up on this week. I like it. Cambridge is not far, there is a Whole Foods that would be perfectly on my way home from work (right after you cross over the bridge on River St.), and it is a super cute neighborhood. Plus the T is not far (walking distance) and Greg works right around the corner (which also means the Miracle is right around the corner!).

When I got to Greg's after my own adventures, we went out for lunch, but then ended up at the Waltham Farmers Market in search of veggies to grill out that night. We could only find zucchini and yellow squash there, so we went to Russo's for asparagus, eggplant, vidalia onions and sweet potatoes. After grilling, we ate the veggies with homemade margaritas. So yummy, especially the grilled asparagus. Afterwards, we had fresh blueberries with a creamy lemon lime tort that Greg had made and watched Mystic River. It was an excellent day.

We got up early this morning and headed out to Amherst. Greg had agreed to make an appearance at NUTC, Tiina Booth's overnight ultimate camp. We happened to walk up to the group as they were talking about rules, specifically the pick rule. The camper who was presenting had his facts correct, but when people started asking questions, Tiina directed them to Greg. It was perfect timing. Then the counselors proceeded to lead the campers through warm up and the morning's activities. Greg and I hung out with Tiina, I did my PT and iced and we all got a good show from the morning's scrimmages. After lunch, Greg talked some about observers and answered questions from the campers. When they started asking situational questions, my eyes glazed over. I just don't have the patience to really know the rules like that. I guess that's part of the reason why I have no interest in becoming an observer.

After we finished at camp, we headed home, although with a quick stop at Atkins Farm. It started as a fruit stand by the side of the road, but now it is a grocery store with everything. They have a great bakery section, they have great local produce and they even have a section with candy and chocolate. They also have real maple syrup that is from the area. I got a little bit of everything. Amber said it's great in the fall because they have their own orchards so they have tons of fresh local apples, plus great apple cider and apple cider donuts. Sounds yummy. I'm lobbying for sectionals in Amherst.

No comments:

Post a Comment