Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Aftermath

Day after surgery day and feeling ok. Using the CPM machine right now - it's very easy to do other things while it's going on like reading or watching Sex and the City DVD's that I borrowed from Tab. Had a nerve block so still can't feel most of my leg. I don't know why anyone would not want to have the nerve block.

Yesterday, Mom and I drove around some before we had to be at the hospital at 11:30. We started at Greg's and drove to the hospital so she would know how to get home if she needed to. Then we drove around Harvard Square and back up to my place so she could see my apartment.

At the hospital, we checked in and sat in the lobby for a bit (Greg met us there too) until a nurse came and brought us back to the pre-surgical area. From there, all sorts of people came in - the pre-surgery nurse, the OR nurse, Dr. Schena (who was performing the surgery) and two anesthesiologists. There was a lot of questions and information thrown at me, and before I know it, they have drugged me up and we are headed back to the OR. I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see well (which is probably for the best), so all I remember is a lot of people hovering around me and attaching tubes and then I was out.

I woke up in the recovery area in some pain. I had agreed to a nerve blocker for my left leg, but it took forever for the anesthesiologist to come in and administer it. Then it took a while to get discharged and get out of there. All in all, we were there for almost 7 hours, mostly in recovery.

That night, I felt surprisingly good. The nerve blocker obviously helped. I slept through most of the night, although I was awake at 7 am and couldn't go back to sleep. Today has been a little more rough since the nerve blocker wore off, and the two hydrocodene that I took were not enough. I was uncomfortable/in pain for a few hours this afternoon until I could take more pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment